Forbes Wheels independently tests and reviews cars and automotive accessories. We may earn an affiliate commission from links on our site. The analysis and opinions are our own.
The three-row SUV is the modern all-purpose family vehicle, long having displaced the station wagon, minivan and sedan as the go-to vehicle for families on the go. The ideal three-row offers plenty of space for passengers and their stuff and hardware unfazed by snow, rain and mud; genuine off-road capability is a plus, even if most buyers rarely use even half of its potential. The ability to devour long stretches of boring highway while ensconcing the occupants in quiet comfort also factors into the equation; bonus points if the SUV has a full complement of the latest tech diversions.
The overall vehicle ranking scores reflect the SUV as complied by our scoring (explanation below), but the order presented in this list considers additional factors that escape objective measurement. Factors like ease of access to the third row, clever storage solutions, legroom, cargo space exterior dimensions, fuel efficiency and the always pertinent price vs. features vs. space equation. This list contains a mixture of 2022 and 2023 model-year vehicles. Folks who need even more space or heavy-duty towing capability might consider a full-size SUV such as the Ford Expedition or Chevrolet Suburban.
Read Less Read More
What three-row SUV has the most legroom?
In terms of total legroom, the trophy goes to the KiaTelluride. But manufacturers distribute space differently. For example, the Toyota Highlander has the most front legroom at 44.2 inches compared to Telluride’s 41.7, but its third row offers just 27.7 inches, second only to the Outlander in terms of cramped quarters.
What three-row SUV has the most cargo space?
The undisputed champ on this list is the Chevrolet Traverse with 98.2 cubic-feet of space with the third and second rows folded. The Volkswagen Atlas comes in a close second with 96 cubic-feet, the Acura MDX taking the bronze with 95 cubic feet. With the third row folded, the order reshuffles slightly, with the Traverse still in first place at 57.2, the Honda Pilot’s 55.9 cubes edging out the Atlas’ 55.8 for second and third place, respectively.
What three-row SUV is the most affordable?
The Volkswagen Tiguan S is currently leading the price war with a $27,885 base MSRP including a $1,295 destination fee. The Mitsubishi Outlander is not far behind at $28,340, including a $1345 destination fee. The Chevrolet Traverse currently leads the “larger” three-row SUVs with a $35,05 base MSRP, including a $1395 destination fee. The Hyundai Palisade SE is not far behind at $36,545, including a $1295 destination fee, followed closely by the Kia Telluride LX at $37,025, including a $1,335 destination fee.
What three-row SUV is best for families?
Most family units are, by nature, highly unique and constantly evolving, making it hard to pin down a universally “best” three-row SUV. However, if you figure the space vs. price equation as the primary criteria, it’s hard to beat the value of the Chevrolet Traverse, Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade. Smaller families would likely appreciate the increased fuel economy and smaller footprint of the Tiguan or Sorrento. Drivers who tow regularly will be better served by a full-size Tahoe, Suburban or Expedition; the Explorer and Durango will best serve those who want to stay in this segment and tow.
This list contains a mixture of 2022 and 2023 model year vehicles. Our rating methodology has been expanded from five to seven categories for 2022. As such, ratings of the same vehicle between these two model years may differ slightly.
For 2022, our ratings categories are:
- Fuel Economy
- Comfort & Room
- Cargo Space & Storage
- Style & Design
Overall: 100 points
- Performance (15 points) The Performance score is a subjective assessment of a vehicle’s handling, braking, acceleration, ride quality and other qualitative performance measures such as horsepower, torque, zero-to-60 time and top speed. Towing capability for trucks and SUVs also is considered. Performance of the vehicles is compared against the identified competitive set. While driving, reviewers look for attributes relative to the expectations set by the manufacturer and by consumer expectations.
- Fuel Economy (15 points) The Fuel Economy score is based on the combined mpg estimate for the entire model lineup and how that figure measures against the identified competitive set. The mpg estimates are based on EPA data or the manufacturer if no EPA data is available. Hybrid and plug-in electric variants within a lineup that significantly lower their overall average will not be included in the comparison unless the competitive set also have hybrid or PHEV variants. Scoring for pure electric vehicles will be based on kilowatts consumed per 100 miles and the comparative mile per gallon equivalent, or MPGe.
- Safety (15 points) The Safety score is based on crash test results from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Vehicles not yet rated by either agency receive zero points. Also included in the safety rating are points awarded for certain advanced driver-assistance safety features offered as standard equipment on the base trim. There are nine safety features Forbes Wheels considers mandatory for the standard offering: forward emergency automatic braking, forward collision warning, automatic high beams, blind spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic warning, adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning or one its higher-level variants, lane keeping assistance or lane centering. Vehicles must have at least four of these in their standard offering to receive points. Vehicles that offer a Level 2 self-driving system, (a combination of adaptive cruise control and lane centering) are eligible for a bonus point.
- Infotainment (15 points) The Infotainment score is based on points awarded for certain features offered as standard equipment on the base trim. Forbes Wheels identifies certain features that are growing in popularity and therefore have been adopted by both premium and mainstream automakers. Some of these features include a minimum 7-inch touchscreen (or premium vehicles that use a rotary knob, touchpad or other mechanism to control a non-touchscreen display), wired Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, a customizable, digital driver information display or instrument panel and at least 2 USB ports. Additional points are awarded for popular features that haven’t been widely adopted in mainstream vehicles such as wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and wireless charging capabilities.
- Comfort & Room (15 points) The Comfort & Room score is based on points awarded for the reviewer’s assessment of the vehicle’s comfort, ergonomics and overall interior feel as well as effective use of space. Points also are awarded for the measurement of rear-seat legroom and how it compares with the identified competitive set. Vehicles that offer a segment-best legroom in either rear seat or optional third row are eligible for a bonus point.
- Cargo Space & Storage (15 points) The Cargo Space & Storage score is based on points awarded for the reviewer’s assessment of the vehicle’s large and small cargo spaces (as well as small-item storage) and how well they serve their purpose and effective use of space. Reviewers also consider innovative storage solutions and flexible loading features. Points also are awarded for the cargo space measurements for rear cargo hold or trunk and how it compares with the identified competitive set. Vehicles that offer a segment-best cargo or trunk space are eligible for a bonus point.
- Styling (10 points) The Styling score is a subjective assessment of a vehicle’s overall styling and design, inside and out. Reviewers also consider the configuration of the interior and how well the design plays into the function. Build quality also is a consideration.
The average starting price for a three-row SUV is $43,705, and there are 17 three-row SUVs that are cheaper. The three-row SUV affordability ranking is calculated based on the starting price for the lowest-priced trim level of a given model. The overall iSeeCars Score also factors into the ranking of each vehicle.What 3rd row SUV has the lowest maintenance cost? ›
- 8 2022 Subaru Outback - $27,645.
- 7 2022 Subaru Ascent - $32,795.
- 6 2022 Nissan Armada - $49,900.
- 5 2022 Ford Bronco - $31,300.
- 4 2022 Lexus UX - $33,450.
- 3 2022 Lexus NX - $39,425.
- 2 2022 Lexus RX - $46,645.
- 1 2022 Acura MDX - $48,000.
- Mazda CX-9. ...
- Kia Sorento. ...
- Nissan Pathfinder. ...
- Audi Q7. ...
- Genesis GV80. ...
- Hyundai Staria. ...
- 2021 Kia Carnival. The NEW generation Kia Carnival ranges between $47,000 and $67,000 and is a lot of practical family car for the price. ...
- VW Multivan. The VW Multivan is an awesome family seven-seater.
The average starting price for a three-row SUV is $43,705, and there are 17 three-row SUVs that are cheaper. The three-row SUV affordability ranking is calculated based on the starting price for the lowest-priced trim level of a given model. The overall iSeeCars Score also factors into the ranking of each vehicle.What vehicles have 3rd row seating? ›
- 2023 Dodge Durango. 3rd-Row Legroom: 33.5 inches. ...
- 2023 Land Rover Discovery. 3rd-Row Legroom: 33.5 inches. ...
- 2023 Buick Enclave. 3rd-Row Legroom: 33.5 inches. ...
- 2023 Toyota Sequoia. 3rd-Row Legroom: 33.7 inches. ...
- 2023 Volkswagen Atlas. ...
- 2023 Land Rover Range Rover. ...
- 2023 Ford Expedition. ...
- 2023 Cadillac Escalade.
- 2 2023 Acura RDX – 4/5.
- 3 2023 Lexus RX Hybrid – 4/5. ...
- 4 2023 Lincoln Nautilus – 4/5. Lincoln. ...
- 5 2023 Subaru Forester – 4/5. Subaru. ...
- 6 2023 Lexus NX Hybrid – 5/5. Lexus. ...
- 7 2023 Lexus GX – 5/5. Lexus USA. ...
- 8 2023 Lincoln Corsair – 5/5. Lincoln. ...
- 9 2023 Mazda CX-9 – 5/5. Mazda USA. ...
The Jeep Wrangler ranks #1 for the most reliable small and compact SUVs (8.5 reliability rating). The most reliable luxury small and compact SUV is the Acura RDX (8.2 reliability rating) and the most reliable midsize SUV is the Toyota 4Runner (8.8 reliability rating).Why buy a 3 row SUV? ›
Even More Seating
Maybe the most common reason to purchase a 3rd-row SUV is the improved seating capacity. At a minimum, 3rd-row seating in an SUV will net your an additional two seats (sometimes you get three additional seats).
1. Skoda Kodiaq. The Kodiaq is not only big enough to take seven occupants and plenty of luggage, but it's priced very keenly too.Which minivan has the most room in the third-row? ›
2022 Kia Carnival
The all-new 2022 Kia Carnival is the minivan with the most cargo space. It provides 40.2 cubic feet behind its third-row seats, 86.9 cubic feet behind its second row, and 145.1 with the third-row seat folded into the floor and the second-row seats removed from the van.
What is the cheapest 8-seater SUV? The 2023 Subaru Ascent is the cheapest eight-passenger SUV. It starts at $33,895 and comes standard with all-wheel drive, a long list of safety features and easy-to-use infotainment tech.What is the best time of the year to buy a car? ›
In terms of the best time of the year, October, November and December are safe bets. Car dealerships have sales quotas, which typically break down into yearly, quarterly and monthly sales goals. All three goals begin to come together late in the year.Is the Kia Telluride reliable? ›
The 2023 Kia Telluride has a predicted reliability score of 85 out of 100. A J.D. Power predicted reliability score of 91-100 is considered the Best, 81-90 is Great, 70-80 is Average, and 0-69 is Fair and considered below average.Do any Toyotas have 3rd-row seating? ›
Toyota models with 3rd-row seating include the Highlander, Sienna, Sequoia, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, and sometimes even the RAV4.Does Telluride have good resale value? ›
Resale Value After 5 Years: 47%
According to Kelly Blue Book, the Telluride has a predicted resale value of 47% after five years of ownership, which is one of the highest in its class. This means it will retain its value better than most other SUVs, making it a wise investment for anyone looking for a three-row SUV.
Vehicles you can Depend On
Top crossover SUVs according to mechanics include the Toyota Highlander and Lexus GX luxury SUV. The GX was named Consumer Report's most reliable vehicle in 2022.
Here are the brand rankings based on the number of problems per 100 vehicles, according to J.D. Power's 2023 U.S. vehicle dependability study. The industry average is 186. The highest-ranking premium brand was Lexus, and Kia was the highest-ranking mass market brand.What is the safest most dependable SUV? ›
- 2023 Lincoln Nautilus - Safety Score: 9.9/10 | MSRP: $44,825.
- 2023 Toyota RAV4 Prime - Safety Score: 9.9/10 | MSRP: $42,340.
- 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe Hybrid - Safety Score: 9.9/10 | MSRP: $35,910.
- 2023 Ford Bronco Sport - Safety Score: 9.9/10 | MSRP: $29,215.
- 2023 Mazda CX-50 - Safety Score: 9.9/10 | MSRP: $27,550.
The highest mileage car on record is Irv Gordon's 1966 Volvo P1800S, with over 3 million miles. There were even two electric cars in the study. The Tesla Model S has a potential lifespan of 133,998 miles and the Nissan Leaf 98,081.What luxury SUV has the least amount of problems? ›
The Acura MDX ranks #1 for the most reliable luxury midsize SUVs (9.3 reliability rating). The most reliable luxury large SUV is the Lincoln Navigator (9.8 reliability rating) and the most reliable luxury crossover SUV is the Acura MDX (9.3 reliability rating).
A third row of seats can be handy for large families, parents with multiple children, teachers, or volunteers. Anyone who regularly transports more than two or three people should consider a vehicle with a third row of seats.Are 3 row SUVs safe? ›
Safety Statistics For Third-Row Seats in Vehicles
As third-row seats are becoming more common, it can be concluded that they have been deemed safe enough by experts and manufacturers. Still, there is no conclusive evidence or statistics to show that third-row seats are perfectly safe either.
Speaking anecdotally, I've asked hundreds of people why they chose an SUV instead of a car. The answer I hear the most is “I feel safer.” Right off the bat this is a telling response, as drivers believe they have to arm themselves with a larger vehicle in order to safely move about our society.What is the most efficient 7 seater SUV? ›
The Kia Sorento is one of the best handling and most comfortable large seven-seat SUVs on the market with one of the lowest fuel consumption records in the class.What is the safest 7 seater car? ›
Among family SUVs, the Volvo XC90 is king. That's partly because it's one of the safest around, but also because it came as standard with seven seats, setting a trend which other SUVs are only just starting to follow.
Best 7 Seater Car Under 10 Lakh in India: In India in 2023, there will be 31 7 Seater automobiles available. Toyota Innova Crysta, Kia Carens, Tata Safari, Renault Triber, and Hyundai Alcazar are other popular 7-seater vehicles. The Maruti Suzuki Eeco is India's most affordable 7-seater vehicle.Is Sienna bigger than Odyssey? ›
The Honda Odyssey is bigger than the Toyota Sienna, both inside and out. Specifically, the Odyssey is 1.5-inches longer and 1.1-inches taller than the Sienna. And inside, the Odyssey has an extra 43.9 cubic feet of maximum cargo room and 1.1 cubic feet of passenger volume over the Sienna.Does Sienna have more room than Highlander? ›
It drops the seating to 7 occupants for either ride but opens up the interior of your vehicle for more versatility. The Highlander sports an impressive interior space with a max cargo volume of 88.8 cubic feet, while the Sienna trails just behind with a roomy 75.2 cubic feet of max passenger volume.Do they make 8 passenger minivans? ›
Eight passenger minivan rentals are great for traveling with a large group whether it's for a family vacation or business trip. Reserve now and get low rates on a minivan rental from Enterprise Rent-A-Car.Will car prices drop in 2023? ›
There is good news on the horizon in 2023, however. J.P. Morgan estimates that prices for both new and used vehicles are set to decrease as supply chain issues abate and inflation is poised to keep easing. Per the financial firm, new vehicle prices are slated to go down 2.5-5% while used cars may go down by 10-20%.
It's safe to say that the median price for a new small SUV in 2023 is between $27,185 and $27,360. Models like the Kia Sportage, Subaru Forester, and Hyundai Tucson are among the most affordable options. Models like the Toyota RAV4, Ford Bronco Sport, and Honda CR-V are among the most expensive options.What midsize SUV has the least problems? ›
The 2023 Toyota Highlander is a midsize SUV with outstanding reliability. It beats all other midsize SUVs on the J.D. Power most reliable list, including the 2023 Honda Pilot and the 2023 Ford Explorer.Should I buy a car now or wait until 2023? ›
Americans planning to shop for a new car in 2023 might find slightly better prices than during the past two years, though auto industry analysts say it is likely better to wait until the fall. Since mid-2021, car buyers have been frustrated by rising prices, skimpy selection and long waits for deliveries.Is it worth buying a new car in 2023? ›
Conclusion: Is 2023 a Good Time To Buy a Car? Considering vehicle prices are still inflated and loan rates may be on the rise, it's not the best time to buy a car. However, auto prices may continue to level off during the rest of the year, which would be a good sign for car buyers.What day of the week should you buy a car? ›
Monday tends to be the best day of the week to purchase a vehicle. While it's good to shop for a car at the end of the month or quarter, there's an advantage to shopping at the beginning of the week. Studies have shown that car buyers get better deals shopping on Mondays than any other day of the week.What is the biggest complaint about Kia Telluride? ›
There have only been 122 complaints reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), most of them one-offs or minor issues. The most common complaint among 2022 Telluride drivers was about the sturdiness of the car's windshield, sunroof, and windows, garnering a total of 48 complaints.What is the windshield problem with the Telluride in 2023? ›
They allege that 2020-2023 Kia Telluride vehicles contained “defective windshields,” that crack, chip and/or fracture under normal driving conditions. The plaintiffs argue that their Telluride windshields cracked spontaneously.How many miles will a 2023 Kia Telluride last? ›
The Kia Telluride has an average lifespan of 200,000 miles. These mileage estimates for both the Telluride and the Ascent assume proper care and maintenance.Which is the best 7 seater in Toyota? ›
The most popular toyota 7 seater cars include Toyota Innova Crysta (Rs. 19.99 Lakh), Toyota Fortuner (Rs. 32.59 Lakh) and Toyota Vellfire (Rs.Does Hyundai make an SUV with a third row? ›
2022 Hyundai Palisade SUV | Upscale 3 Row SUV | Hyundai USA.
The Toyota vehicle with the most cargo space is the 2023 Toyota Sienna, which has up to 101 cubic feet of cargo space. The model with the next most space is the 2023 Toyota 4Runner, followed by the Sequoia, Highlander and RAV4.What makes Telluride special? ›
Telluride is tucked into a box canyon surrounded by 13,000 and 14,000-foot peaks. The town is just eight blocks wide and twelve blocks long. Because of its significant role in the history of the American West, the core area of Telluride was designated a National Historic Landmark District in 1964.Why is Telluride so expensive? ›
As with other mountain towns in Colorado, what drives up the cost of Telluride is simply supply and demand. What is this? The city resides in a secluded location about 2.5 hours south of Interstate 70. This means Telluride not easily accessible during icy or snowy conditions.Why buy a Telluride? ›
A regular on our 10Best Trucks and SUVs list, the 2023 Kia Telluride is a well-rounded package with handsome styling and a bargain price. The Telluride offers a generous set of standard features throughout its range, and its top trim delivers an elevated experience that's comparable to SUVs that cost twice as much.Which 7 passenger SUV has the best resale value? ›
The Toyota Land Cruiser has the best resale value among three-row SUVs. The Land Cruiser retains 65.1 percent of its value after 5 years, with an average price of $69,358 for 5-year-old models. The Land Cruiser's resale value puts it 10.6 percent above the resale value average for three-row SUVs, which is 54.5 percent.What SUV has the highest maintenance cost? ›
- 3 Audi Q8 - $12,551.
- 4 Cadillac Escalade - $12,933. ...
- 5 Mercedes-Benz GLS - $15,726. Mercedes-Benz. ...
- 6 Jaguar F-Pace - $16,103. Jaguar. ...
- 7 Land Rover Range Rover - $18,228. Land Rover. ...
- 8 BMW X7 - $18,550. BMW. ...
- 9 Porsche Macan - $20,137. Porsche. ...
- 10 Porsche Cayenne - $20,552. Porsche. ...
Overall, the models determined to hold onto their values the most tenaciously among all 2023 vehicles after five years handily beat the industry average. These include the Toyota Tundra (73.3%) and Tacoma (66.0%), Tesla Model X (66.0%), Ford Bronco (65.4%), and the Chevrolet Corvette (65.3%).What is the best car or SUV for seniors? ›
- Subaru Outback: The Subaru Outback is a popular choice among seniors due to its spacious interior, comfortable seating, and excellent safety ratings. ...
- Toyota RAV4: The Toyota RAV4 is a reliable and practical crossover SUV that offers a comfortable and quiet ride.
Nissan Pathfinder: 3rd Row Seating SUV for 7 or 8
The 2023 Nissan Pathfinder is a three-row full-size SUV that gives you the ability to fit up to 8 people.
- The safest SUV for 2022 is the Tesla Model Y. ...
- The safest small SUV is the Mazda CX-30.
- After Tesla, the Subaru Ascent takes second place as the safest midsize SUV for 2022.
- The Chevrolet Trailblazer is the most economical of the safest SUVs on the list.
Which car brands are the most expensive to run? According to the most recent data, BMW tops the list as the most expensive car brand to maintain, followed by Mercedes-Benz, based on estimates of total car maintenance over 10 years.What is a high mileage SUV? ›
What is considered high mileage on a car? Often, 100,000 miles is considered a cut-off point for used cars because older vehicles often start requiring more expensive and frequent maintenance when mileage exceeds 100,000.Is Range Rover expensive to maintain? ›
Estimating the Average Cost of Range Rover Maintenance
They come in the top 10 for the most expensive cars to maintain . You can expect Range Rover maintenance costs to increase significantly about five to six years after their production year. Typically, the sport version will cost a little bit more.